Friday, November 6, 2009

Genealogy for children


Have you ever wondered how you can get your child involved in genealogy? I pondered this myself and when I was a single mom and wanted to do genealogy at a family history research centre I decided to take my daughters with me to help. I set up a reader with a microfilm of their grandfather's birth so they could look through the film beside me and the reader I was looking at for film of other family members that I was researching.

My daughters also interviewed their grandfather and asked papa questions about his life. My youngest enjoyed talking to her grandfather about his life and he often treated them all to treats.

If your children have no grandparents they can ask questions from their aunts and uncles or any other living relatives. If the children don't get stories from them or their family about their family these memories of their lives will be lost from their families forever.

Out of four grandparents two of my grandparents were dead before I was born and the other two died shortly after my birth so I never really had the opportunity to get to know them. My siblings and I grew up without much knowledge of our grandparents and our parents would barely talk about them when we asked them questions. A lot of valuable information about the grandparents are lost. Many rich, treasured stories about our grandparents were lost forever to us and our children and their children.

If you can get your children involved in family history it will turn their hearts to their ancestors which brings a love, bond and unity or sense of belonging to one great family past and present.


by Queenie1

No comments:

Post a Comment